Friday, January 8, 2016

Governor Aregbesola to sack striking doctors on Monday

The threat to sack the striking doctors in Osun State may be carried out starting from Monday, The PUNCH has learnt.

Governor Rauf Aregbesola gave the hint of what might befall the doctors in Osogbo on Thursday while speaking at the 75th birthday anniversary of the founding President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Hassan Sunmonu.
Governor Aregbesola to sack striking doctors on Monday

The governor said he was surprised that despite his efforts to persuade the doctors, who commenced the ongoing strike on September 28, 2015, they had stuck to their guns.

He said,
“To my dismay, they stuck to their guns. But you are either in or out. We have decided to use the civil service rule.
“The Head of Service will implement that as from Monday. Head of Service, it is over to you.”
Some of those present starting grumbling loud enough to attract the attention of the governor who was forced to ask if some of the doctors were present at the occasion.

Our correspondent further gathered that the ultimatum given to the doctors had been extended and it would expire on Friday, January 8 (today).

Earlier, the Permanent Secretary of the Hospitals Management Board, Mrs. Omolara Ajayi, had while addressing journalists, appealed to the doctors to resume work in the interest of the masses.

Ajayi said it was not wrong to fight for one’s rights but the doctors should consider the masses who could not afford to seek medical treatment at private hospitals.

She said,
“I want to appeal to them to resume in the interest of the masses, people who do not have an alternative. A life that is lost is lost forever.”
Ajayi also said state hospitals were not deserted, adding that other medical workers were not on strike and they were rendering services to patients.

Culled from

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post